Although, it is Midsummer,Â it is still so cold where I live. I cannot believe it is already Mid May and still I cannot get rid of my winter clothes. I always feel like making Momos when it's pouring outside. I remember my old days when I used to go to local Momo store to have Buff Momos (which is popular in every corner of Nepal) with jhol Achar. Â Aww!! Those were the days. So, after I came back from work I decided to get nostalgic with my Chicken Momos. When I first started to cook I felt like it was the hardest dish to make. But, practice makes man perfect is a very true proverb. May be you will not get the exact shape or exact taste on the 1st attempt but keep trying. Believe me you will make perfect Momos after few attempts. I hope you guys will find this helpful.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 30-45 minutes
- Momo Filling Ingredients
- Ground Chicken - 1 lb
- Medium sized Red Onion - 1
- Green Onion or Scalion - 1 bunch
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Strand
- Ginger/Garlic Paste - 1 Teaspoon
- Chicken Curry Masala - 1 and 1/2 Tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Vegetable Oil - 1/2 cup
- Salt - According to your taste
- Momo Wrapper Ingredients
- All purpose flour - 2 cup
- Salt - 1/4
- Vegetable Oil - 1/2 cup
For Momo Filling:
1. In a large bowl add ground chicken meat.
2. Add all the chopped Red Onion, Green Onion, Cilantro,Ginger/Garlic paste and all the spices mentioned above.
3. To get some juiciness in Momo add vegetable oil(any kind) and mix it together.
4. Set aside your Momo filling and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes( I never used to do this before and then one day i realized when i made the Momo next morning. The taste of Momo was more flavorful)
For Momo wrapper:
1. Add all purpose flour on a bowl along with salt and oil and mix it together.
2. Then add Â aprroximately 1/2 cup of luke warm water gradually.
3. Knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes to give soft texture.
4. Set aside the dough for about 10-15 minutes.
5. Now pinch a small ball sized dough and flatten it in between your palms.
6. Roll in with a rolling pin to a round shape and remember it does not need to be perfectly round(not too tiny not too big)
7. Add the filling in the center and wrap it in a desire shape.
8. Heat up the steamer on a high heat by adding water and let it come to a boil.
9. Put some paper towel on a steamer wrack and lay out the Momo and close the lid.
10. Let it steam for about 10-15 minutes.
11. Now your Momo is ready to be served with Momo ko achar.