There may be very few Nepalese who haven't tried "Khadeko Mula ko Achar (Radish Pickle)". This pickle is made by fermenting the radish in a bottle mixed with lots of spices. To be honest it doesn't have a very pleasant smell but it is mouth watering and has tangy taste. Traditionally, In Nepal radish is dried out in the sun before mixing with the spices but i have approached a different way that is more practical to most of the people and takes less time to make. By the way, I forgot to tell you guys, this also helps to boost your appetite.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 5 minutes
- Yield : 1hr 20 mins
1. Start by peeling off the radish cover
2. Cut the radish into small long pieces
3. Add the sliced radish into a bowl and sprinkle some salt and let it stay for 20 mins. (This helps to extract water from the radish)
4. Now drain the excessive water and spread the radish on a paper towel and let it dry for an hour.
5. After an hour heat the Mustard seeds on a frying pan until it starts to crackle and crush it with pestle andÂ mortar.
6. Add the crushed Mustard,Â ChilliÂ powder, Paparika, Salt and Turmeric Powder over the radish.
7. Â After that heat up the pan and add the oil. Once the oil is heated addÂ greenÂ chiliesÂ and stir it for 30 seconds
8. Then pour the mixture all over the spices and mix it very well.
9.Â Now fill the empty jar with the pickles and compress it well.
10. Close the lid tightly and let it stay in the jar for 5-7 days in a warm and dry place.
Note:Â I would highly suggest not to open the jar in between those days.